You think you can hide your ip?

Steve Crook listpost at bananasplit.info
Tue Jan 17 11:16:55 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:33:15AM +0100, Oliver Niesner wrote:

> ...not if you have java enabled check this out!
>
> > http://www.inet-police.com/cgi-bin/env.cgi
>
> Does anyone know a way to check sites for such applets?
> Or is the only way to disable java, which surely breaks
> some of our favorite sites :-/

Hi Oliver,

I use a combination of two Firefox plugins to gain granular control over
what scripts are allowed to run.

First of all, NoScript is a good tool for blocking all scripts by
default.  It then allows me to whitelist specific url's where I have
confidence in the source.

The other tool I use is Adblock which allows me to blacklist any
component on a webpage.  This is useful for all those sites where the
content is in plain html put there are advertising scripts all over the
place.  It supports basic regex so I can (for example) blacklist any
link that contains 'doubleclick'.

I'm sure there are plenty of other scripts doing similar jobs, but these
two happen to coexist quite happily in my experience.  Running them
along side SwitchProxy also doesn't cause me any issues.

HTH