Question about HiddenServices and...

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Jan 31 08:04:39 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 03:55:11PM +0100, Marvin Preuss wrote:
> ...Server configuration :) Hi,
> so i have two questions. the first one is about hidden services. when i
> set up a hidden service can it point to a other url except localhost?

Yes.

> i just saw the example with google but im still not sure about it. so i
> need to have my webserver running somewhere and i need to have tor
> running somewhere.

Precisely.

> on which port the tor needs to listen to that things
> are working? 9050 from outside? cause i would have it running behind nat.

To run a hidden service, your Tor connects *out*, and then the people
accessing your hidden service use those outbound connections to get
to your service.

This means you can run a hidden service from anywhere that can reach
the Tor network. It doesn't have to have a routable network address.
It's hidden, after all.

> and the other question is about BandwidthBurst for my tor server. i dont
> understand it exactly what this is doing. i would be really helpful for
> every help :)

http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#LimitBandwidth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_bucket

Perhaps ask a more concrete question?