BandwidthRate does this actually work ?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Feb 19 07:28:21 UTC 2006

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 07:33:49PM -0600, Harley Peters wrote:

> Well i tried 0.1.0.17 and it didn't seem to help me. The problem is when
> i turn on directory mirroring i get so many directory requests that it
> saturates the connection. And since bandwidthrate doesn't check the out
> bound traffic which is what directory traffic mainly is it just uses all
> the bandwidth the connection has. The rest of the tor traffic hasn't
> been anywhere near the the bandwidth limit i have set.

Were you setting BandwidthBurst as well? The 0.1.0.17 version of Tor
will refuse to send out a directory if your write token bucket is empty,
and it will only be empty if your BandwidthBurst has been exhausted.

So if you set a BandwidthRate of 20 KB, and leave the BandwidthBurst at
the default of 5 MB, it will be a long while until it becomes empty.

Please let me know if that helps,
--Roger