New user question about Directory mirroring & bittorent

NATHANIEL HOMIER nate at nathaniel-homier.net
Sun Feb 12 01:05:45 UTC 2006

Hello all.  My name is Nate.

I just started using tor as a client and server.  I have 2 questions
that I can't find an answer to in the wiki and docs.  I have my
BandwidthRate, BandwidthBurst set to 50KB as my ADSL line is 500KB down
and 90KB up.

"Uncomment this to mirror the directory for others (please do)"  This
line seems to make me feel guilty about asking if it's okay to not
mirror the dir in an effort to reduce bandwidth usage.  Only to keep my
line responsive.  Basically I just want to serve the tor users without
mirroring the dir.  I suppose if you really need the help I could keep
it uncommented But I would rather not.  So okay to comment out?

Also I want to continue using my torrent client Azureus.  Obviously not
on the tor network.  How well do the tor server and torrent play
together concerning bandwidth.  Would I need to adjust the
BandwidthRate, BandwidthBurst of 50KB down some to make adjustments for
torrent.  I plan on reducing the upload bandwidth for torrent to
something like 10KB to 20KB down from the current 56.7KB now and the
download rate would  get a limit of 200KB maybe more maybe less
depending on what you guys say.

Any advice on how to carve up my bandwidth for Tor, torrent, Web
browser, E-Mail would be greatly appreciated.

Tor version: 0.1.0.16-1~breezy.1
ADSL
500KB down
90KB up