IDS bells ringing

patgus patgus at stonewwwall.org
Wed Feb 1 04:57:09 UTC 2006

 OK.

 As far as the IDS field - I think they do have their place. and if they were more directed at blocking & disregarding a lot of garbage & known attacks instead of trying to report everything, then a lot more data analysis could be performed on the remainder in order to find the "needle in the haystack".
 I am not aware of the amounts of false positives resulting on other larger networks, although in my experience on a small network the number of false positives has been "almost" 0 Most are practically worthless at detecting unknown attacks, unless you have the analyst as you mentioned.