Facing legal issues

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Mon Dec 18 15:05:16 UTC 2006

Florian (and list) :

Here is what I used (Openoffice 1.0 SXW format) when replying to a FBI
subponea here in the good 'ol USA. I sent this to them, and it was the
last I ever heard of it (everything in here is 100% true .. they
wouldn't have found it any other way had they shown up with an army of
techs to scour the datacenter).

It details how I configured stuff to avoid logging anything that would
compromise the anonymity of the TOR network, and it explains how TOR works.

The key to setting up TOR is to be able to (honestly) stand up in court
and say "it doesn't exist" when they ask for logs, etc. and "it could
have been anyone" when they ask who it was. I never had to go to court,
but I've dealt with my fair share of $law_enforcement over it, as well
as a number of pissed-off end-parties.

I still had to explain (over the phone) why someone would commit the
unthinkable act of helping folks avoid surveillance by repressive
governments .. an exercise that's left to the user.

My favorite line from that discussion .. "why would it matter if you're
not doing anything wrong?". Your mileage may vary.

Names and details changed to $variables to protect the $people_involved.

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University