Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Season 6, Episode 10.

Dan Collins en.wp.st47 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 03:40:31 UTC 2006

Jeff wrote:
> On 10-Dec-06, at 2:08 PM, KT wrote:
>
>> Det. Wheeler : Let's start by tracing the server they used to upload
>> the videos
>>
>> Ira: I tried that but… It was routed through special proxies, er…Tor
>> server.
>>
>> Capt. Ross: In English Ira.
>>
>> Ira: It's a way of posting anonymously online.
>>
>> Capt. Ross: Why would a teenage vlogger hide her server?
>
> I laugh when they just pinpoint the source of ANY internet transmission
> at the snap of their fingers in those shows. I always thought to myself
> "I'd like to see that work against Tor!" Heck, if I was a criminal...
> *shifty eyes*..... I'd at least use something to cover my tracks, they
> make it look like no one does. It's good to see fantasy catch up with
> reality once in awhile! =)

Me too - This night's numbers also just mentioned onion routing, and
within the same five minutes, they managed to write a program to crack
it, do so, and trace an IP to an address...Atleast the numbers were
reasonable - the clearly fake IP addresses(645.872.123.632) always scare me.

--
GnuPG key ID is 0xE7D2ABB9