tor log file function

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Dec 15 05:10:58 UTC 2006

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 10:49:03PM -0600, Arrakis wrote:
> I am having a problem with the "log" command for tor. When I execute
> the line "tor.exe log notice file log.txt" under win32, tor acts as
> though it doesn't recognize the option "file" as written in the tor
> manual.
>
> ex:
>
> c:\tor\tor.exe log notice file tor.log

Tor wants each option to be of the form
  key value
That is, it needs to receive the value part, "notice file tor.log",
all as one element on the argv array.

On most modern OSes, this is easy -- you just put it in quotes, and
your shell takes care of doing the right thing. That might work for
Windows too, I'm not sure.

>  I have also noticed that the PidFile command
> doesn't work either, in that it will run but doesn't create the file.

PidFile has no effect on Windows. We'd be happy to accept a patch that
makes it do something smart. I'm not sure what that should be.

Thanks,
--Roger