More control over bandwidth

Tor Admin torstatistics at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 07:12:41 UTC 2006

I've been following the Tor project for a few months now and am interested
in contributing some bandwidth; however; I have limited uploading bandwidth,
approximately 512kbps and sometimes it can be as much as half that during
peak usage of my provider's network.  I also run a terminal server, an
FTP/SFTP server, an SSH server, and an enterprise VNC server, all of which
compete for bandwidth with my prospective Tor node which at a minimum
consumes 20kiloBYTES (160kbps) and from what I have read, if the available
upload bandwidth drops below this minimum amount, my node won't function
properly.  (Perhaps I misunderstand, please correct me if this is the case)

Anyway, what I would LIKE to be able to do is have more control over the
bandwidth my node requires, specifically, I want to donate a smaller
quantity of bandwidth... a steady load of 32kbps with occasional bursting to
48kbps wouldn't be a problem and it seems to make sense (to me, at least)
that more users would be able to serve up some bandwidth of their own if
that 20kilobyte minimum requirement was trimmed.