Polipo web proxy

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Wed Aug 23 18:12:13 UTC 2006

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 03:02:48AM +0200, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
>> > 6) Polipo writes your hostname in every request. Either define proxyName
>> > to something else, or set [d]isableVia = true in your config file.

>> This cannot be stressed enough.  Unfortunately, use of Via is a MUST
>> according to RFC 2616 (it's not completely useless -- Polipo uses it
>> to detect proxy loops).

> So if you want to follow the RFC, would it be adequate to use the
> pseudonym "polipo" in each case?

That's a somewhat radical approach to proxy loop avoidance ;-)

(It would disallow chaining proxies, and chaining proxies is a
somewhat common usage scenario -- when evading firewalls, or when
trying to work around a lossy wireless link.)

I guess I'll just make disableVia the default, and give up on my
policy of conforming by default.  People who actually care about loop
avoidance can enable it manually.

                                        Juliusz