Exit Node sniffing solution...an idea...

Marco A. Calamari marcoc1 at dada.it
Sat Aug 19 11:40:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 20:49 -0700, Anothony Georgeo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been thinking about the issue of exit node
> operators and/or adversaries sniffing clear-text
> ingress/egress traffic locally and/or remotly on an
> exit node.  I have a possible solution but I would
> like the Tor devs. and experts here to weigh-in.

In this thread I saw no mention of partitioning attack
 problems.

In the past the Mixnet networks that allow several
 visible parameter to be chosen by the user (i.e. Mixmaster)
 was considered vulnerable to partitioning attack,
 that can make traffic analisys easier, lowering
 the anonimity set. The parameters can be some non-default
 remailer properties, some fixed user-chosen chains, or the
 location diversity in Autonomous System domain.

I read that is generally agreed that traffic analisys
 is the main road to attack low-latency systems like Tor.

It is possible that give a lot of hand-configurable
 parameter and stressing the necessity of a personal,
 "smart" choice (exit router enter router forbidden router
 and so on) this can make traffic analisys a lot easier
 respect a no-user-configurable-parameters situation ?

JM2C

Ciao.   Marco
--

+--------------- http://www.winstonsmith.info ---------------+
| il Progetto Winston Smith: scolleghiamo il Grande Fratello |