Using TOR? get lost!

Christian Kellermann Christian.Kellermann at nefkom.net
Fri Apr 7 07:47:54 UTC 2006

Hi,

* vukki starborn <vukki.starborn at gmail.com> [060407 09:43]:
> Not long ago i've got interesting reply from one of the IRC servers:
>
> --- You (*@207.44.180.3) are banned from this server: Tor proxy detected.
> --- Closing Link: ********[id at 207.44.180.3] (K-lined: Tor proxy detected.)
>
> So, it means that server denies connection because the client is using
> tor.
> Questions:
>
> 1. Did anyone from community experienced such, eh, "discrimination"?
This is happening on some IRC networks out there (namely quakenet)
> 2. How they realised that connection torified? blacklisted ip?
The list of running tor servers is publically accessible just as for
tor clients/servers.

> 3. Though the people running server is in their rights to refuse any
> connection (as mentioned in their disclaimer), to what consequences
> may lead widespreading of such policies? If owners of the popular
> services will refuse torified users, how one can get anonymity?
Not on that particular network I am afraid.

Cheers,

Christian

--
You may use my gpg key for replies:
pub  1024D/47F79788 2005/02/02 Christian Kellermann (C-Keen)