Weird behavior of my server

Landorin Landorin at gmx.net
Fri Apr 28 08:22:05 UTC 2006

Michael Holstein schrieb:
> Bridged will work if you have an extra IP for the VM. NAT will also
>  work, but you need to modify the config to make it aware of it's
> external address (and configure vmware-natd to forward 80/443).
>
> ~Mike.
Thanks Mike, now the server is working (except that it doesn't run on
orport 443)! :)

Yanick McDonald schrieb:
> I was able to install a tor server in a Ubuntu VMWare player, and
> experienced the same problem you're having with the "Cannot bind to
>  port 443"
>
> Here is the reason why :
>
> 10. If your computer isn't running a webserver, please consider
> changing your ORPort to 443 and your DirPort to 80. Many Tor users
> are stuck behind firewalls that only let them browse the web, and
> this change will let them reach your Tor server. Win32 servers can
> simply change their ORPort and DirPort directly in their torrc and
> restart Tor. OS X or Unix servers can't bind directly to these
> ports (since they don't run as root), so they will need to set up
> some sort of port forwarding
> <http://wiki.noreply.org/wiki/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#ServerForFirewalledClients>
>  so connections can reach their Tor server. If you are using ports
> 80 and 443 already but still want to help out, other useful ports
> are 22, 110, and 143.
>
> Here are the commands to run in a terminal to enable the right port
>  forwarding :using sudo
>
> Forward port 443 to 9090 iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -i
> eth0 --dport 443 -j DNAT --to $IP:9090 iptables -A OUTPUT -t nat -p
> tcp --dport 443 -j DNAT --to $IP:9090
Okay, I tried that, sadly it didn't work.
I'm behind a NAT router and I run Ubuntu in VMWare.
So that's what I did: I forwarded port 443 to port 9090 in my NAT
router and in the torrc file I had orbindadress 0.0.0.0.:9090 active.
However, it always said my orport is not reachable (after about 20
min). So until I find the cause (if ever) I'll let it run at a higher
port.

Sincerely,
Landorin

- --
Accelerate cancer research with your PC:
http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/curecancer.html

GPG key ID: 4096R/E9FD5518