Tor client over a SOCKS proxy, and Tor client running through another Tor Circuit

Tor User toruser256 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 00:08:45 UTC 2006

Thanks for the response.  Just to clarify, I wasn't refering to routing other users circuts through the Tor network again, just the requests from a single Tor client running on my computer, and what the security implications of that would be.  I don't really have any intention of routing all my Tor circuts through another Tor client that I'm also running - I'm just curious about the effects it would have...

  re: 1) Since we're talking about a single client used on a sporatic basis, I don't think that an extra 500KB per month would be a bandwidth issue...

  re:2) Assuming I used the ExcludeNodes directive to prevent that kind of looping, do you think this would still be a bad thing from a security standpoint?

  re:3) Also, why do you say it doesn't increase anonynimity?

  re:4) I had just that idea, and started a thread on this list about it a few hours ago: http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Apr-2006/msg00156.html

  Thanks for your input :)

Ringo Kamens <2600denver at gmail.com> wrote:
    I don't think re-routing users through tor is good because:
  1. It increases network load
  2. They could end up in a very long loop with you as the exit point several times
  3. It doesn't increase anonymity (perhaps generating cover traffic would be better)
  4. Why don't you have your server fetch some SOCKS proxies from google and then route users through those instead?

  On 4/27/06, Tor User <toruser256 at yahoo.com> wrote:     I'm wondering what the anonynimity implications the following:   1) Running Tor using Freecap:  By this I mean running a Tor client and using FreeCap to transparently redirect all of Tor's network connections through a SOCKS proxy.  This seems to work, and 'feels' just like using Tor in the standard way, and is useful for getting around transparently filtered network environments where running a Tor client doesn't work.   Is this any more or less secure and anonymous than running a Tor client normally?
  2) Running Tor over Tor using Freecap:  This is the same as above, but instead of using some arbitrary SOCKS server, another Tor client is used as the SOCKS server.  This means that the Tor circuit is routed through another Tor circuit.   I tried this and it (of course) increased latency, but what are the anonynimity  and security effects?
NOTE: I understand that running a Tor circuit over an existing Tor circuit will put additional load on the Tor network, but I doubt a few kb/s of basic web surfing or instant messenger would hurt.

http://mail.yahoo.com