Firefox through Tor
Eric H. Jung
eric.jung at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 01:21:07 UTC 2006
I'm happy to announce a new Firefox extension which is built with Tor in mind from the ground up.
FoxyProxy - http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org
I took the things I liked about SwitchProxy, TorButton, ProxyButton, QuickButton, xyzproxy, etc. and added a number of crucial features:
* Tor Wizard - now zero configuration to use Firefox with Tor
* Define proxy use based on URL patterns using wildcards and/or regular expressions: now you can route *.onion domains and web mail accounts (gmail, yahoo, etc) through Tor but not CNN and Slashdot, for example, without having to constantly change Firefox's proxy settings.
* Define multiple proxies
* No more wondering whether or not a URL loaded through a proxy: FoxyProxy includes a complete log of all URLs loaded, including which proxy was used, which pattern was matched, timestamps, etc.
* Temporarily or permanently dedicate all URLs to go through a particular proxy
* Temporarily or permanently disable use of a proxy
* FoxyProxy hooks directly into Firefox via XPCOM--this yields much greater performance than the de facto standard of updating about:config preferences programmatically (used by every other proxy extensions I could find)
* Lots more
I hope you enjoy it. I look forward to your comments.
Eric H. Jung
More information about the tor-talk