TOR Park Exit Node Question

Martin Balvers m.balvers at addicts.nl
Thu Sep 29 20:11:28 UTC 2005

Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 04:23:47PM +0000, mike.sever at comcast.net wrote:
>
>>Having loaded and tested TORPARK on a USB it seems that both myself
>>and another person that I gave one to are having similar results.  We are
>>nearly exclusively being routed out of an exit node in The Netherlands.
>>I have checked the TORRC file and cannot be see any reason why it would
>>be giving preferential treatment to the .nl exit router.  Has anyone
>>else had a similar experience?
>

> This is probably because the two fastest Tor exit nodes right now
> are in .nl.
>
> http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu:8000/cgi-bin/exit.pl?sortbw=1
>
> The Tor network is made up of volunteers. If you want more diversity,
> go find us some more nodes. :)
>
> --Roger

I thought clients only balanced the load up to 2 MB (as of version
0.1.0.10 I think).
Has this changed in recent versions ?

What I mean is, is it normal for the Tonga server to claim over 4 MB of
bandwidth ? If so, why are other servers that are on a 100 Mbit link not
reporting more bandwidth ?

While typing this it occurred to me that the default
MaxAdvertisedBandwith is 2 MB and that Tonga has probably set it higher...

Martin