Wikipedia & Tor & ... moderators?

Edward Faulkner ef at alum.mit.edu
Wed Sep 28 13:24:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 08:18:11AM -0400, Christopher W. wrote:
> A suggestion on this:  I just remembered the "hidden" servers....there
> was one listed on Privoxy's page, I believe, that can only be accessed
> by someone using a tor/Privoxy combination. Perhaps our possible Chinese
> dissident could post her/his edits and additions on such a server, have
> them reviewed by someone at Wikipedia, and if they were non-vandalizing
> type posts, they could then be added to the Wikipedia page.
>    I realize that this violates Wikipedia's open-source, anyone can
> edit philosophy to an extent, as someone would have to read and review
> these entries. It would also put additional burdens on Wikipedia's
> staff. But it would allow both the free flow of information and the
> protection of privacy.

Actually, anyone could provide this service right now.  It doesn't
have to place a burden on Wikipedia in any way.  All you need to do is
widely publicize some place where content can be dropped off
anonymously (a mailing list, a wiki, an ftp server), and volunteer to
post it to Wikipedia as long as it's not obviously spam.