Wikipedia & Tor

Ben Burch benburch at pobox.com
Wed Sep 28 03:21:32 UTC 2005

Just a question or two, Jimbo...

Do you folks block all proxies?  Like anonymization.net and
guardster.com?

If all proxies are to be blocked, how is somebody with sensitive
whistleblower-type information to be able to post it?

As an example, 20 years ago I worked for a nuclear utility that was
lying to the NRC about safety-related systems.  Had the web and
Wikipedia existed then, and had I wanted to post information about
this to a page about that nuclear utility, how could I have done this
anonymously?  The consequences of not doing this anonymously would
have been firing at a minimum and prosecution would have been a
distinct possibility.  IMNSHO, there HAS to be a means for
whistleblowers to achieve some safety if we want to encourage the
practice, and, as a civilization, I believe we do want to encourage it.

How does Wikipedia deal with large groups with NAT firewalls?  The
defacers of the page about me on Wikipedia were all from Ball State
University, from a NAT address.  Assuming the users from a particular
college were largely defacers (and I am not alleging that is the case
here, I am just asking about policy) would that whole domain get
blocked?