Wikipedia & Tor

Paul Syverson syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Sep 27 20:17:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 03:54:38PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 11:18:31AM -0400, Paul Syverson wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 10:27:58AM -0400, Matt Thorne wrote:
> > > everyone is so worried about it, but has any one ever been successfully been
> > > able to use tor to effectively spam anyone?
> >
> > No. Cf.
> > http://tor.eff.org/faq-abuse.html#WhatAboutSpammers
>
> To be fair, this answer is yes. People have used Tor to deface Wikipedia
> pages, along with Slashdot pages, certain IRC networks, and so on. I
> think that counts as spam at least in a broad sense.

Nobody should understand me as claiming that Tor has never been
a vehicle for abuse in any way.

But Gah, No! I think this is an awful meaning creep of `spam' that
makes it harder to talk succinctly and clearly about the different
types of abuse.  If I'm behind, and that's what `spam' means now. Oh
well, another loss in the war for clarity. We'll just have to hack a
new term ;>)

-Paul