Wikipedia & Tor

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Sep 27 12:58:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 07:48:22AM -0500, Arrakis Tor wrote:

> Equal *opportunity*, but we have very strong empirical evidence here.
> TOR ip numbers are the worst offenders that we have seen.  People use
> TOR specifically to hide their identity, specifically to vandalize
> wikipedia.

It works for them. As long as the system doesn't allow nyms to accrue
prestige and penalize misbehaviour abuse will happen, and people will
block by IP, if they can.

Misbehaviour is in the eye of the observer, however.

> > You say that tor is quite irresponsibly managed. How would you propose
> > we manage tor servers differently?
>
> Ban users who vandalize wikipedia.  That'd be a start.  Rate limit edits
> at Wikipedia, that'd be good.  Write an extension to your software which
> would help us to distinguish between "trusted" and "newbie" Tor clients.
>
> I completely fail to comprehend why Tor server operators consistently
> refuse to take responsibility for their crazed users.

Did he offer examples as to how crazed our users are? Apart from
a DDoS I haven't seen any feedback whatsoever.