Tor and port 80

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Mon Sep 26 17:37:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 01:12:12PM -0400, Marc Abel wrote:
> Shame on me for not reading up on this prior to posting, but....
>
> Is there a hack for sharing port 80 between a Tor server AND a WWW
> server on a single IP?

For directory purposes, yes.  You need to make your web browser
redirect all requests that start with /tor to the Tor server's
directory port.

For OR purposes, it's not likely to be easy.  You'd need to write a
proxy that would check initial connections to see whether they look
like SSL or HTTP, redirecting them to Tor in the first case and your
browser in the second.

>    What I'm thinking is, "looks like a website to
> the authorities", and "looks like a Tor server to Chinese dissidents".

The method you describe is unlikely to achieve this purpose, assuming
that the "authorities" are smart.  If the server is a Tor server,
you can find this out by trying to use Tor with it, and seeing whether
it answers you.

Later, Arrakis Tor <arrakistor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good question. I have no clue.

Arrakis: when somebody sends a message to or-talk, hundreds of people
receive it.  If every one of them who *didn't* know the answer said "I
have no clue", it would be impossible to use the list.  I'm glad
you want to help out, but please realize that it's not helpful to tell
everybody when you don't know the answer to their question.

yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson