IP address blocking problem

Roadburner roadburner at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 03:49:44 UTC 2005

Hello Sam,

Sunday, September 25, 2005, 10:03:09 PM, you wrote:

SP> Roadburner wrote:
SP> [...]
>> The worst part is, the remailer that blocked me is operating a type 3
>> remailer in addition to type 2. Both Roger and Peter have contributed to the
>> design of that network. So here is an interesting result. I am going to set
>> up a type 3 remailer but I won't be reliably able to communicate with some
>> other type 3 remailers since I was a Tor exit node and got blacklisted by a
>> few of the many organizations out there.
>>
>> I'll have to find a way to automatically not chain through those other
>> remailers.
>>
>> When I start Tor back up, it will be middle only.

SP> A thought occured to me, since you have only one IP, I'm guessing that
SP> you have a dynamic IP?  Have you thought about staying offline for 48-72
SP> hours and seeing if when you come back up you end up with a different
SP> IP?  The DHCP lease of IPs often expire after that length of time at
SP> which point you might end up with a new one.

I think it is the same IP I have had for the last year and a half. I'll give
it a try. I have never had it off line that long. Good idea!!!

Only 2 re-mailers have me blocked. Apparently while I operated as an exit
node, someone abused the service and got my IP blacklisted. Only 2
re-mailers are using black list filtering. That is not very good if I am
a middleman of a chain. Someone's mail won't go through :(

One of the 2 re-mailers that has me blocked is also a Tor node operator. I just
checked the list :) Funny huh?

--
Best regards,
 Roadburner                            mailto:roadburner at comcast.net