Squid Proxy Causes Unavoidable DNS Leaks

Jack Cummings jack at mudshark.org
Tue Sep 13 14:49:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 11:53:04AM -0400, u-281 at vif.com wrote:

> Squid can be compiled with the option --disable-internal-dns, and configured to
> use an external dns server (dnsserver).  I think replacing the line
> gethostbyname in dnsserver.c by something like spawnv("/usr/bin/tor-resolve",
> buf, localhost:9050, NULL); could do it to use tor network for dns requests.
> Then one could grab the result from tor-resolve and send it back to dnsserver.
> I'm not that fluent in C to accomplish this, but it seems to be a viable
> solution.

I made a sh wrapper around tor-resolve that outputs something that looks like
the output of dnsserver:

--
[jack at needle:jack]$ cat /opt/pkg/squid/libexec/tor-dnsserver
#!/bin/sh

And in the squid.conf file:

cache_dns_program /opt/pkg/squid/libexec/tor-dnsserver
#cache_dns_program /opt/pkg/squid/libexec/dnsserver
dns_children 5

as a first pass, it works, although it does not properly handle failed DNS
requests.

Cheers,

--Jack

--
Jack (John) Cummings                           http://mudshark.org/
PGP fingerprint: 0774 D073 E386 B70B 6B16  2D2B 1DD8 F8B0 CCF0 FAEE