Finding Volunteers - Hardly likely!!!!

Roadburner roadburner at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 08:02:14 UTC 2005

Hello phobos,

Saturday, October 1, 2005, 2:51:43 AM, you wrote:

pro> On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 12:36:14AM -0400,
pro> roadburner at comcast.net wrote 1.1K bytes in 30 lines about:
pro> :   Well, you are going to have a tough time finding them.

pro> 	I assume this is related to http://tinyurl.com/dvp54.

pro> :   I am out. I'll have no more part in this project. Unsuspectingly I operated
pro> :   a Tor node with the default settings. I thought I was doing a "good"
pro> :   thing. I was acting in good faith.

pro> 	The default configuration is conservative.

pro> :   Then I found out my IP was blacklisted or whatever that means because
pro> :   someone misused the service.

pro> 	You were most likely blacklisted because you ran a Tor node, not
pro> 	because anyone did anything through your exit node.  There are a
pro> 	few blacklists that simply block the IPs of every Tor node,
pro> 	regardless of exit policy.

pro> 	The Tor Abuse FAQ, http://tor.eff.org/faq-abuse.html, clearly
pro> 	lays out the issues and such.

pro> :   Then I was publicly criticized in APAS because I had a DHCP instead of
pro> :   several static addresses, like one for Tor, and one for the re-mailer.

pro> 	This has nothing to do with Tor.  APAS is un-related to Tor and
pro> 	should be taken with lots of grains of salt.  Don't always
pro> 	believe what you read on the Internet.  Ask OR-TALK first.
pro> 	:)
pro> :
pro> :   Your instructions say a Dynamic address is fine. So why does Alex D Joode
pro> :   criticize me? In public? I followed your instructions to the T!!!!

pro> 	Ask Alex.  Ask OR-TALK for help, or follow the hints in
pro> 	http://tor.eff.org/support.html for getting help.
pro> :
pro> :   I thought it was a good thing, now I realize I was wrong. I will have to
pro> :   encourage any potential volunteers to think twice. Apparently you must
pro> :   have a couple of static IP addresses to partake. At some point, it is not
pro> :   worth the effort. I now decline to participate. Public humiliation is not
pro> :   worth it.

pro> 	Tor is a neutral thing.  We believe it's good.  Others use it
pro> 	for bad.  Much like a highway, a kitchen knife, or a gun.  See
pro> 	http://tor.eff.org/faq-abuse.html#WhatAboutCriminals

My experience is bad enough. I just had to delete 150+ messages
destined for Dizum. I thought I had the blocklist set to delete. Of
all re-mailers in the network, the one and only that refuses a
connection.

So who is using it as a gun? I don't block messages from Dizum, that I
know of.

--
Best regards,
 Roadburner                            mailto:roadburner at comcast.net