Wikipedia and Tor - a solution in the works?

loki tiwaz loki_tiwaz at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 31 13:09:01 UTC 2005

in my opinion this just highlights the absurdity of the concept of password
security on the web, period. in this situation, tor users are vulnerable to
tor nodes sniffing the plaintext passwords being sent to the webserver,
which is an issue for tor users anyway. However, compromising network nodes
in proximity to the wikipedia server could have the same effect. And the
same applies to any website.

If the server uses https for password authentication (as is used on
hotmail), there is little risk of this occurring. But there is still an
opening, which is the man in the middle attack, where a node between the
server and the routes out to the rest of the internet could be compromised
as well, and the https security becomes null and void.

So, in essence, the problem here is not just something you find with
wikipedia, it applies to every site, encrypted or not. Encryption is a layer
of protection which is difficult but not impossible to violate. All good
security systems include two layers of protection, and the simplest and
already widely used method for ppp connections should be used, challenge
authentication protocols. In this case the simplest way to implement it is
to send a challenge code with the page, and when the 'submit' button is
clicked, a javascript program hashes the password, and then hashes the
password hash with the challenge code. the server then will only
authenticate the user if the stored password hash, hashed with the sent
challenge code, matches the code sent by the user.

challenge authentication protocols allow a high degree of security over an
unencrypted connection, but adding encryption to it creates a double layer
for which there is a very thin margin of possibility of compromising of the
security of the user login.

as for the problem of new users being registered to permit further attacks
on the system, it should be sufficient to a) throttle new user logins on the
same ip in the tor exit node addresses and b) use a visual confirmation
system, and c) require the use of email confirmation. These sorts of rules
must be applied to any high volume website in any case, and close up most of
the possibilities for automated user registrations by trolls.

Banning a set of ip addresses is an ignorant and futile method of ensuring
security. trolls could set up a number of tor exit nodes, modify their tor
client to select exit nodes from their range of tor exit nodes in their
control, and have the tor nodes only wake up when a special code is sent
with the packet which signifies their use, and then you have a situation
where ip addresses which are not in the regular tor exit node cloud can
proxy tor connections and then just as suddenly disappear from the tor cloud
and thus bypass the ip blocking protection without stopping the user from
using tor. i'm sure a modification of a trojan system could produce an
unlimited range of short-lived tor exit nodes to use for this purpose, and
blocking tor addresses is just asking for this to happen. and i should point
out that this strategy, and similar strategies (for example tunneling from
the tor exit node to another anonymity/proxy system, even just open proxies)
applies to other ways of abusing the tor network.

ultimately the onus rests on the website to come to grips with the fact that
tor is just one of many ways to protect source ip address, and there is many
ways to compromise this. the only protection is strong authentication
systems and smart user registration systems.