Broadband Reports: Tor Network Bogged Down by P2P

Dustin Eward plasma at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Oct 18 03:15:49 UTC 2005

Chris Palmer wrote:

>----- Forwarded message from John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> -----
>
>From: John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com>
>Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:40:18 -0700
>Subject: [E-IP] Broadband Reports: Tor Network Bogged Down by P2P
>
>http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/68438
>
>Some time ago our security regulars broke down the logistics behind
>Tor, an anonymity tool from the Electronic Frontier Foundation. It was
>designed for whistle-blowers, political dissidents, researchers, and
>others concerned about exchanging information without authoritarian
>backlash. Sadly network performance is being jeopardized by
>file-traders looking to evade the RIAA.
>
>File traders have been reconfiguring their Bit Torrent clients to take
>advantage of the network. Unfortunately the Tor network wasn't
>designed with high volume porn transfer in mind, so the activity is
>slowing it down to a crawl. The likely result will be the EFF running
>against the grain of their mandate, and restricting network use.

>	John
>

>----- End forwarded message -----

Bah, I see no problem with using it to evade the RIAA.  sure, it sucks
for us Tor people who use it for what is was intended for.  It just
means we need more nodes, and we need to grow more to support this
demand.  I'm all for giving the finger to "the man."

It's time for Tor to expand, not regulate.  And if expansions isn't
possible, just let it suck!  I can't imagine many fileshare people will
cleave unto dial-up speeds with their broadband...  Once they learn that
it sucks to use Tor, they'll stop.  We need knee-jerk decisions in this
project like we need knee-jerk political actions...

But, that's just my $0.02