ATTN: for-profit Tor operators

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Nov 23 22:21:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Eugen Leitl wrote:

Personally, I like the alternate side of this service -- the access to
hidden tor services.

With recent legal developments in the US, some very interesting sites --
even those which are text-ONLY have gone away.  The draw of being able to
offer existing threatened sites an alternative is a good thing (along with
careful auditing and accounting of said sites to make sure no obvious
clues as to the actual server location are left).

It could make paid-tor access very feasible, indeed.

For example, a tor-ized mirror of a "fetish stories" site, if the
mirroring was automatic, might be stupid and mirror the thing from its own
public IP (thus giving its location away), instead of more properly
mirroring the site THROUGH tor (or some other anonymous proxy service).

I love tor, personally, but I'm daunted by the number of pieces of
software I've had to set up to get it to work.  I *really* think the
necessary element here that stops things is the lack of a single-shot
installer.

--

"Of course she's gonna be upset!  You're dealing with a woman here Dan,
what the hell's wrong with you?"

-S. Kennedy, 11/11/01