Tor limitation

Matt Thorne mlthorne at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 23:06:14 UTC 2005

I Would be willing to bet that the most effective P2P over there
(behind the wall) are Darknets.

as briefly mentioned here:
http://www.cio.com/archive/110105/tl_filesharing.html?action=print
and
http://www.darknet.com/darknets/

I was just thinking about how I would go about finding information on
best anonymity practices in china, but realized that information would
probably be hard to come by. The ones that failed probably arent able
to be talked about (stupid censorship), and the ones that are working
probably aren't advertised anywhere.
Brings to mind bashing my head up against a wall... so let the head
bashing commence...

-=Matt=-
On 11/15/05, ADB <firefox-gen at walala.org> wrote:
> Has the EFF sent anyone to China to check this out and hopefully get some
> more details? It would be especially interesting to find out what the
> situation is for other P2P and anonymity networks w/in china. If they are
> alive, how? If they got canned, what were their mistakes that lead to it?
> ~Andrew
>
> Matt Thorne wrote:
> most of the censoring, in china at least, is done automatically with
no
> human intervention. In my statement I ment that having an exit node
behind
> the firewall would give us the same restrictions that they are
having to
> deal with right now. for most people that really wouldn't
impact their lives
> that much, except that there would be some pages
that you counldn't view,
> and some messages that you couldn't send.
 BUT.
there is always a but,
We,
> for the most part, are from countires that don't have restrictions
on
> speach, so we would set off all of the flags that the censoring
software was
> looking for, and the ISP would be ordered to cut the
connection pretty
> quickly. Personally I don't think that an exit or
entry server would last

On 11/14/05, Bob <monfster at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> Well, the faq says "If you want to avoid most if not all abuse
> potential,
set it to "reject *:*". This is called being a "middleman" node."
> - but can
that also be an Entry node?

However, I think someone running any
> type of tor SERVER node behind the