Hacker strikes through student's router

loki tiwaz loki_tiwaz at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 11 10:17:02 UTC 2005

the hammer analogy is perfectly apt imho. you normally would use a hammer to
bash nails in to wood to build a wide variety of things, but you could also
use a hammer to break a lock or kill someone or smash a window. in terms of
the virtual world, you can use an internet access system (whether direct or
proxied) to do things on the internet, and you can use them to do bad things
too.

the problem is not the tool, the problem is the user. considering the degree
of privacy violation being perpetrated by malicious entities on the internet
(advertisers, script kiddies, identity thieves, phishers) there really does
need to be measures to counteract this invasion of privacy. it is not going
to stop cybercrime to outlaw one anonymising system, but it is going to
damage the rights of good people to outlaw an accessible anonymising system.

weigh up the costs and benefits and if your goal is to stop malicious
internet use you are barely even going to knock a chip out of the side of it
by banning tor. tor is not exactly invulnerable to tracing, for one thing,
there is only maybe at most 10000 clients on the internet and 300 nodes.
while it makes it harder, it certainly isn't impossible for an internet
infrastructure system administration to at least establish who on their
networks are using it. this could then enable them to start up traffic
analysis scanning to figure out who amongst the tor users is looping back
into the network. the onus of security maintenance, will always lie on the
operators of the services. it is facile, for example, to set up blocking of
tor to services which should not be used anonymously anyway, such as
internal authentication systems and email services, but permit tor use
otherwise.

anyone who thinks that banning tor will achieve anything in the war against
malicious use of the internet has no imagination or capacity for logic in my
humble opinion. taking a black and white view of tor use will only harm
other tor users whose intentions and actions warrant no such treatment.

when i was in school, when the teacher could not identify a wrongdoer, to
make the whole group suffer for the actions of one did nothing but increase
the amount of bad behavior perpetrated by the less scrupulous of the group.
the same thing will happen here if it is allowed to happen.

i believe that this issue will eventually glom into the general mess of
anonymising systems, tor is just the flavour of the month due to its
novelty.