Problems with cvs?

Peter Stoddard peter at stoddard.name
Mon May 23 00:13:22 UTC 2005

On May 22, 2005, at 4:39 PM, yancm at sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

> The last couple of days I have been getting error messages when I
> try to
> update my source tree from cvs. I received connection refused for a
> while,
> but now I am getting:
>
> cvs update: Updating .
> cvs update: failed to create lock directory for `/home/or/cvsroot/tor'
> (/home/or/cvsroot/tor/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
> cvs update: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/home/or/
> cvsroot/tor'
> cvs [update aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
>
> Is it just me?
> --gene

No, it is not just you.  I am getting the same error.  MacOSX v. 10.4
has the following permissions on /tmp:

sarah:~ peter$ ls -ld /tmp
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin  11 May 13 19:47 /tmp -> private/tmp
sarah:~ peter$ ls -ld /private/tmp
drwxrwxrwt   6 root  wheel  204 May 22 10:01 /private/tmp

The final "t" is the "sticky bit."  From the MacOSX 10.4 man pages:

"A directory whose `sticky bit' is set becomes an append-only
directory, or, more accurately, a directory in which the deletion of
files is restricted.  A file in a sticky directory may only be
removed or renamed by a user if the user has write permission for the
directory and the user is the owner of the file, the owner of the
directory, or the super-user.  This feature is usefully applied to
directories such as /tmp which must be publicly writable but should
deny users the license to arbitrarily delete or rename each others'
files."

So fink should be able to write to /tmp, but I am getting the same
error message.

Alexander Hansen wrote:

> You're really only supposed to run selfupdate-cvs to change your
> update mode--you should now be set up such that a plain selfupdate
> uses cvs (this didn't cause your problem).
>
> /tmp should let everybody write to it.  Check via
>
> ls -ld /tmp /private/tmp

Thanks Alexander.  So now that I have enabled CVS updating, will the
process work OK now?

Pete