Lots of connections

Ben Wilhelm zorba at pavlovian.net
Fri May 13 08:51:56 UTC 2005

I've been playing with stressing Tor out recently. I've encountered some
rather weird and suboptimal behavior. If you hit it with a lot of
connections simultaneously it starts spitting out "Giving up on
unattached conn (60 sec old)." errors (and those numbers go up
dramatically if you *really* stress it badly :P) From browsing the
source, it looks like that's its way of saying "I don't have enough open
Tor routes, and I'm having trouble getting more fast enough, so I'm
going to start dropping connections". And, yes, it does appear to be
dropping connections.

Which is obviously not really ideal.

Is this diagnosis accurate? If so, is it on the list of Things That
Should Be Fixed, or is this low priority/unimportant? And if this
diagnosis isn't accurate, what's going on? :)

(One thought, from going over in my mind what it looks like - they also
come in clumps often, and that's when the numbers start getting big.
Maybe something is blocking for long periods of time that you're not
expecting, and that's just making it time out when it should be handling
the load no problem? Its CPU usage doesn't seem to be high.)

Thanks,

-Ben