raise ulimit?

Adam Langley alangley at gmail.com
Wed May 25 15:37:43 UTC 2005

On 5/25/05, alexyz at uol.com.br <alexyz at uol.com.br> wrote:
> This is an interesting warning message:
>
> [warn] connection_add(): Failing because we have 991 connections already. Please raise
> your ulimit -n.
>
> Got several of them and don´t know what to do. I am not using bandwidth limiting, if that´s
> what it is refering to.

Tor will try to set the soft fd rlimit (ulimit is probably a bad name)
at startup to the value of MaxConn in the config file (if it exists),
or to the hard limit. This is a kernel imposed limit on the number of
file descriptors.

In some shells this can be set by `ulimit -n number`, in others it's
`limit desc number`. Non-root users cannot raise their hard limit, and
this is often set in /etc/security/limit.conf.

A harder limit exists on Linux systems which is the value of
/proc/sys/fs/file-max (again, can only be set by root)

Sorry, it's not possible to be more specific without knowing exactly
how your system is setup.

(see man setrlimit(2))

AGL

Adam Langley                                      agl at imperialviolet.org
http://www.imperialviolet.org                       (+44) (0)7906 332512
PGP: 9113   256A   CC0F   71A6   4C84   5087   CDA5   52DF   2CB6   3D60