tor and bittorrent

Philip Cheney packwidth at gmail.com
Tue May 3 12:48:56 UTC 2005

I've read about a past clash involving bittorrent and tor
(http://azureus.sourceforge.net/doc/AnonBT/), but it seems that Azureus
has built tor support into their bittorrent client.  Does anyone know
the details of their implementation?

This was mentioned on Slashdot
(http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/03/0458256) and you can see
it in the changelog (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/changelog.php).

If they've integrated a client, it would be nice if it acts as a
server, too.  This is going to be an enormous surge in traffic, and the
files that people are going to want to download by bt anonymously are
probably going to represent a big surge in copyrighted material being
unlawfully moved across the tor network.  Has the Azureus team been in
contact with anyone here?

(or maybe they've just added support for tor and I'm overreacting!
It's happened before... :) )