reconsidering default exit policy

Valient Gough vgough at pobox.com
Fri Mar 11 20:14:15 UTC 2005

Chris Palmer wrote:
>Valient Gough writes:
>

>>There are two target audiences here -- anonymous users and server
>>administrators.  The policy choices which are ideal for one group are
>>probably not ideal for the other.
>>

>This is a false dichotomy. Computers and networks exist so their users
>can do work. System and network administrators exist so users can
>concentrate on their work and not be distracted by the foibles of the
>equipment. Thus, the interests of administrators are in fact aligned
>with those of users.
>
>To demonstrate this principle, set your firewall to block port 80.

Your generalization is false.  Take this case for example -- anonymous
users of Tor are not necessarily the tor operators.

To demonstrate, how about I set my firewall to block Tor ports?  I think
that is a much better demonstration.  I can effectively handle all
complaints by setting up an email alias for /dev/null.