reconsidering default exit policy

Wes Felter wesley at felter.org
Thu Mar 10 23:38:59 UTC 2005

Geoffrey Goodell wrote:

> # reject private networks (no surprises!)  My understanding is that you
> # might want to eliminate the 127.0.0.0/8 line if your kernel
> # short-circuits connections to local services and if you want those
> # services to be available to Tor users who happen to choose your Tor
> # node as an exit... someone please correct me if this is wrong.

I can't imagine why a kernel would rewrite destination addresses that
way, but it doesn't matter since the kernel sees the packets after they
come out of Tor. But I could imagine a case where the DNS resolver
returns 127.0.0.1 when a machine looks up its own hostname (even though
that doesn't sound like it should happen either).

Wes Felter - wesley at felter.org