(FWD) OS/X Installer

Eddie ortalk.032004 at skippingpebbles.com
Sat Mar 26 17:11:52 UTC 2005

The installer appears to have been built from a client only perspective
(which is what 99% of people need).  The commands I was using to try to
see what application was running on the ports (as well as the ps
commands) did not show Tor running, but it had to have been operator
error. :-)   I confirmed with a a GUI tool (Activity Monitor, included
in OS/X) that both Tor and Privoxy were running on the system so that
confirms why I could not bring up an instance that had been configured
as a server.

I was greatly confused by how the installer does it's thing on OS/X as
some of its behavior didn't seem to follow what the torrc file
suggested.  Using the OS/X installer things are scattered all over the
place and you have to enable the root user to get at certain
files/directories.  Part of the confusion is a lack of understanding
what is supposed to go where on OS/X, but with Windows the program is
under Program Files and data is under the Application Data directory so
it is much simpler.  I wish that the default location for everything
(torrc, fingerprint, keys, logs, etc.) was in the same folder (or a
subfolder) wherever the tor binary is located no matter what platform.