What good is tor for webbrowsing, if your ip address is not hidden TUXEDO

Sascha Wuestemann tor at killerhippy.de
Thu Mar 3 04:51:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 11:17:12PM -0500 or thereabouts, Geoffrey Goodell w=
rote:
> > what is up with the mailing list? I have answered to your mail, but I
> > can't recieve it, do you? I have posted to or-talk at freehaven.net and to
> > or-talk at seul.org, too. Do you anything?
>=20
> I am not sure about the lists; your mail was not received.

In this case, this reply goes to the ml and to your pm.

>=20
> > FYI what I have posted:
> >=20
> > yes, I have followed the well written documents and prooved that it is
> > working by watching the logs of privoxy and tor.
> >=20
> > tor log says "Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like it is
> > working" and it complains as it should if I execute 'tsocks ssh
> > me at another.machine'.
> >=20
> > privoxy logs the sites I am browsing to.
>=20
> First, verify that your privoxy config contains this line:
>=20
> forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .

That dot was missing. Thank you for the tip.

>=20
> (do not forget the dot!)
>=20
> (or whatever your Tor SocksPort is if it is not 9050.)
>=20
> When you have verified this, please visit this page and check what it
> says for REMOTE_ADDR and REMOTE_HOST.
>=20
> http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu:8000/cgi-bin/ipaddr.pl

now I can't browse anything anymore. I only get the local privoxy page.

Seems as if tor is not running correctly, right?
=2E..hm, right. The SocksBindAddress was misconfigured. Now it works!

Your site said, I was coming from japan. Great.

Thank you.