Addendem II Re: Addendum Re: The legal basis for Service monitoring Title 18 Section 2511.2.a.i Re: Why TOR Operators SHOULD always sniff their exit traffic...

tor tor at algae-world.com
Fri Jun 10 03:17:56 UTC 2005

And in addition :)

from the U.S. Code On line via GPO Access
[wais.access.gpo.gov]
[Laws in effect as of January 7, 2003]
[Document not affected by Public Laws enacted between
  January 7, 2003 and February 12, 2003]
[*CITE*: *18USC2701*]

                 TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

                             PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 121--STORED WIRE AND ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS AND TRANSACTIONAL
                             RECORDS ACCESS

Sec. 2701. Unlawful access to stored communications

    (a) Offense.--Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section
whoever--
        (1) intentionally accesses without authorization a facility
    through which an electronic communication service is provided; or
        (2) intentionally exceeds an authorization to access that
    facility;

and thereby obtains, alters, or prevents authorized access to a wire or
electronic communication while it is in electronic storage in such
system shall be punished as provided in subsection (b) of this section.
    (b) Punishment.--The punishment for an offense under subsection (a)
of this section is--
        (1) if the offense is committed for purposes of commercial
    advantage, malicious destruction or damage, or private commercial
    gain--
            (A) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more
        than one year, or both, in the case of a first offense under
        this subparagraph; and
            (B) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more
        than two years, or both, for any subsequent offense under this
        subparagraph; and

        (2) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than
    six months, or both, in any other case.

    (c) Exceptions.--Subsection (a) of this section does not apply with
respect to conduct authorized--
        (1) by the person or entity providing a wire or electronic
    communications service;
        (2) by a user of that service with respect to a communication of
    or intended for that user; or
        (3) in section 2703, 2704 or 2518 of this title.

Please note Exception C1 above...

    comment requested by EFF Attorneys..

     A tor operator