IRCNet abuse

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Wed Jun 8 19:52:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 12:10:35PM -0700, tor wrote:
:Gee... if it can be exposed by sniffing then it isnt much of a privacy
:network.

The network doesn't protect people from themselves.  Talking on
unencrypted IRC and expecting privacy is silly.

:Tor operators/developers should Always sniff their servers
:traffic at least occasionally to see if holes or information is being
:exposed.

statistical analysis of traffic patterns is one thing, reading
people's IRC conversations is another entirely.

:
: A tor/patcher who always sniffs his server traffic
:
:
:   a tor user
:ps not only is it NOT rude it is completely legal in the US at least to
:monitor the traffic to/from a given server if you own that server, this
:is completely a legal action under ECPA.

INAL, but I wouldn't want to put that to the test in court.  Can your
ISP admins read your mail?  I don't think so (employers are
different), and this is directly analogous.

I make no determination on the legality on the US or elsewhere, but it
is most certainly rude and unethical.