tor+privoxy on openbsd: problems

dick at uchicago.edu dick at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 6 23:23:57 UTC 2005

greets,

i've installed tor and privoxy on one of my openbsd boxen, as
described in the howto
http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/OpenbsdChrootedTor
. i am having issues with "dead" connections not being closed
and the resultant tor+privoxy combo being stalled with packets
just sitting. here is the output of netstat -la on the box in
question:

$ netstat -la
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address
     (state)
tcp        0      0  cloaker.1067
mylinuxsys.net.6667    ESTABLISHED
tcp      539      0  cloaker.8118           chimaera.44067
     CLOSE_WAIT
tcp      204      0  cloaker.8118           chimaera.29444
     ESTABLISHED
tcp      482      0  cloaker.8118           chimaera.33199
     CLOSE_WAIT
tcp      524      0  cloaker.8118           corporeal.23786
     CLOSE_WAIT
tcp      398      0  cloaker.8118           corporeal.18186
     CLOSE_WAIT
tcp      398      0  cloaker.8118           corporeal.17236
     CLOSE_WAIT
tcp      400      0  cloaker.8118           corporeal.34635
     ESTABLISHED
tcp      396      0  cloaker.8118           corporeal.1377
     ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0  cloaker.8118           corporeal.29005
     CLOSE_WAIT
tcp        0      0  *.9050                 *.*
     LISTEN
tcp        0    368  cloaker.ssh            corporeal.7750
     ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0  *.8118                 *.*
     LISTEN
tcp        0      0  cloaker.ssh            corporeal.43708
     ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0  cloaker.ssh            corporeal.27471
     ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0  *.ssh                  *.*
     LISTEN

i know this doesn't look that great without code tags, but do
note the 539, 204, etc. in the leftmost column. these packets
are queued to go, but are just sitting. cloaker is my tor box
and chimaera and corporeal are remote boxen on my network.

i am running the privoxy-3.0.3p0 package for openbsd
3.7-release and have compiled tor 0.0.9.5 from source. i
suspect this is a problem with privoxy and not so much with
tor (especially when you note that it's privoxy with all the
hanging TCP sessions). however, i can't be sure of this since
i have no familiarity with either application.

my guess is that there's a configuration issue with privoxy,
but i only changed it as recommended in the aforementioned
howto. i don't have PF running on this box yet, maybe i should
change the TCP timeout settings?

in the meantime i'll try to install tor from the newest source
and be eagerly awaiting advice, as this relates to part of a
development project i'm working on.

if i can get tor+privoxy to reliably proxy http and https, i
will start up a server right quick and give back one of the
few things i can right now, bandwidth.

cheers,
jake