stalinism

Matej Kovacic matej.kovacic at owca.info
Sun Jun 5 14:08:54 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have got a "good" idea for a business.

Let's create an anti spammning list. Invest some amount of money into
advertising of it. Maybe create a small application, which will update
clients with new block list.

When you will have a wide market share, no one will be able to sent
email from "listed" e-mail address to anyone.

Than you can start creating viruses or trojan horses which will send
spam and put innocent victiom to your block list.

As found in report CyberInsecurity: The Cost Of Monopoly
(http://www.ccianet.org/papers/cyberinsecurity.pdf), there is growth of
new internet users in perifery, that means newcoming internet users are
security unaware. This new and future numerous internet users are more
vulnerable to viruses, so your "marketing strategy" could have a long
and happy future.
And you will be doing double good work: you will fight spammers (whoever
they are - see Felten's article Keystone SpamKops
(http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/archives/000014.html), and you will
force "newbies" to become security educated.
And besides, you will get rich.

OK, sarcasm off: I really think this is some kind of stalinism. If
someone says you will be punished EVEN you are clearly innocent and even
you are a victiom too, this is gangster rule. If this becomes a norm, it
means death of rule of the law and wide opens the door to arbitrary
stalinistic reign.

I think this is very important problem, endangering our rights and
freedoms in the same measure (or even more) as they can be endangered by
the government.

bye,
Matej

--
http://matej.owca.info/
Mi ne morete poslati odgovora na e-mail?