Help-Linux-Newbe

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Thu Jun 30 02:35:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 12:12:42AM +0200, Torgrim wrote:

:Jun 30 00:10:52.467 [warn] /var/lib/tor is not owned by this UID (1000).
:You must fix this to proceed.

this is the error you care about.

Dis you install from a .deb with "apt-get install tor"?  This should take
care of all the permissions and directories and stuff and start it for you.

also how are you trying to start it?  If you're using the packages vresion
you should run (as root):

/etc/init.d/tor start

Though as I said the installer should do this for you.  I suspect you're
trying to start it improperly as UID (user id) 1000 is you (the first
"normal" user account) and debian creates a special UID for tor to run
under, where as if you installed from source I'd expect it would try to run
as root (UID 0) by default not as you, though I'm not sure about that last
bit.

-Jon