Why TOR Operators SHOULD always sniff their exit traffic...

tor tor at algae-world.com
Fri Jun 10 09:28:20 UTC 2005

Hi Eugene ,
    I would say hard to intercept or trace under certain conditions
rather than "unblockable"
   A tor carrying worm communicating via DNS tunneling might have
considerable more success for the immediate future
   in penetrating "the Great FireWall of China"... although due to
serialization concerns DNS/UDP is MUCH more suitable for first having a
UDP/IP/TLS transport run over it first OpenVPN is what comes to mind and
then anonymous circuits via tor/TCP could then be added. Its actually
pretty neat/fast/cute on OC1 and faster networks . And it is a
tremendous CPU hog as a server. plan for VIA Nehemiah? class processors
with embedded AES crypto support and custom drivers for SSL/TLS
possibly(ah the price of bleeding edge!!)

see "Black OPS of DNS" at Dan Kaminsky s site www.doxpara.org   for
details on DNS tunneling .(I have spammed this list too much tonite
according to at least one person:).. Dan has ssh and audio transports
working via perl code over DNS/UDP. He has given demos at Codecon and
other places for the past year or so of this capability..(there were 2
earlier efforts I am aware of that went public)

      a tor operator
ps JAP was tapped on at least one occasion via court order, and I
believe at one point there were plans to have JAP support at least tor
client usage, did that ever happen?