tor+privoxy on openbsd: problems

slrner at blackhole.riot.eu.org slrner at blackhole.riot.eu.org
Fri Jun 10 07:40:43 UTC 2005

Chris Palmer wrote:
>dick at uchicago.edu wrote:
>
>[snip netstat output]
>
>You got further than I ever did with OpenBSD (3.6 on i386). For me,
>Privoxy could open and send through two or three streams, but then it
>would lock up and not be able to open any more.

When using Firefox, Privoxy and Tor on OpenBSD, I also experienced the
lock up.

>> my guess is that there's a configuration issue with privoxy,
>> but i only changed it as recommended in the aforementioned
>> howto.
>
>I think it's something with the OpenBSD + Privoxy interaction. Other
>network applications (including Tor; I run two OBSD Tor servers) are
>obviously fine on OpenBSD, and Privoxy is fine on all other platforms
>(Windows, Mac OS X, Linux). You and I are not the only people with
>Privoxy problems on OBSD.

Perhaps it is something to do with Firefox.  I am using OBSD 3.7,
with Privoxy, Tor, Lynx and Firefox from either ports or packages
(Privoxy 3.0.3, Tor v0.0.9.5, lynx 2.8.5rel.2, Firefox 1.0.1) Using
Tor and Privoxy with Lynx works just fine.  The problems occur when I
use Firefox as the browser.

I posted about this last February.  I was hoping that OBSD 3.7 might have
this fixed, but there is no improvement.

>Can you try a ktrace on Privoxy, and maybe post the output on a web page
>or something?
>
>> change the TCP timeout settings?
>
>Worth a try, I guess.
>
>> in the meantime i'll try to install tor from the newest source

Have you tried using Lynx?  Which browser were you using?

SLRNer