Public gateways to .onion domains

numE numE at Onionizer.De
Thu Jul 7 13:06:24 UTC 2005

Dear Cristiano

> I'm wondering if any brave soul on the Internet has setup a public
> HTTP gateway to hidden HTTP services.
> I mean, plain web browsers surfing the plain old Internet and
> connecting to an URL like:
> http://some.public.server.org/6sxoyfb3h2nvok2d/foo
> where a server is actually proxying requests to that URL to the Tor
> network's hidden service:
> http://6sxoyfb3h2nvok2d.onion/foo

I thougt about such a webservice, too....

> It would be rather simple to setup such a service using Apache's
> Rewrite engine but maybe it would expose the administrator to
> excessive risks...

In fact it is quite easy to setup, but:
I don't think, that it would be a good idea to do that.

Of course it is possible to open a window if you have a huge lock on
your door,
but where would be the sense for the huge lock?

I know - this is a quite bad example, but I think you can imagine
the point I am thinking about...

greetz,

numE