Confirm new Tor server working? [SOLVED]

Brian C brianwc at ocf.berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 25 13:47:10 UTC 2005

I'm glad someone saw these questions,

Roger Dingledine wrote:
[snip]
> Great. Except,
>
> % telnet 64.36.3.34 9001
> Trying 64.36.3.34...
> telnet: connect to address 64.36.3.34: Connection refused
>
> Looks like it's still refusing connections?

Hmmm. Could it be that you tried to access it after that day's 1GB of
bandwidth was used up? I still see lots of "ESTABLISHED" connections
with netstat (many to port 9001) and I'm now listed in the directory.
What else could cause everything to appear to be working but cause your
connection to be refused?

[snip]
>>Also, it seems another useful setting would be something like
>>MaxConnections so that I could limit the number of simultaneous
>>connections. A recent check showed over 200 simultaneous connections.
>>AACK! Can I move that down somehow?
>
> No, you can't move that down. 200 is a small number really; many servers
> use 1024 or more. Are connections a limited resource for you somehow?

No, I just thought it would help with the responsiveness of the server
generally. However, I discovered that the reason things seemed slow was
that I had a runaway nagios process chewing up over 90% of CPU/memory
and once that was corrected I just barely notice the load from tor usage
on the server. (If I'm right that it is working!)

Brian