Compile problems on CVS Current under NetBSD

Gene ENonymous yancm at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Jan 20 19:12:56 UTC 2005

Not sure if I should discuss this here or developer...
I am not really developing...

I had no problems compiling tor 0.0.9.2, but saw it was suggested
cvs current fixed some cpu usage issues I am seeing. I pulled the
tree down OK, but when I run ./autogen.sh I get the following:
    ./autogen.sh
    /usr/pkg/share/aclocal/pth.m4:43: warning: underquoted definition of _AC_PTH_ERROR
      run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
      or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
    /usr/pkg/share/aclocal/pth.m4:55: warning: underquoted definition of _AC_PTH_VERBOSE
    /usr/pkg/share/aclocal/pth.m4:61: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECK_PTH
    checking for gawk... no
    checking for mawk... no
    checking for nawk... no
    checking for awk... awk
    checking build system type... i386-unknown-netbsdelf1.6.2
    checking host system type... i386-unknown-netbsdelf1.6.2
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for suffix of executables...
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking dependency style of gcc... gcc
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
    checking for ranlib... ranlib
    checking for library containing socket... none required
    checking for library containing gethostbyname... none required
    checking for library containing event_loop... no
    configure: error: Libevent library not found. Tor requires libevent to build.

At first I thought the only problem was a lack of libevent.
I installed version 0.9 as that is the default in the NetBSD packages collection.
(Though this was not required for teh previous versions apparently)
Anyway I installed it, but it didn't help.

I took a look at the following lines in /usr/pkg/share/aclocal/pth.m4 per the
above warning messages:

     43 AC_DEFUN(_AC_PTH_ERROR, [dnl
     44 AC_MSG_RESULT([*FAILED*])
     45 define(_ac_pth_line,dnl
     46 "+------------------------------------------------------------------------+")
     47 echo " _ac_pth_line" 1>&2
     48 cat <<EOT | sed -e 's/^[[       ]]*/ | /' -e 's/>>/  /' 1>&2
     49 $1
     50 EOT
     51 echo " _ac_pth_line" 1>&2
     52 undefine(_ac_pth_line)
     53 exit 1
     54 ])
     55 AC_DEFUN(_AC_PTH_VERBOSE, [dnl
     56 if test ".$verbose" = .yes; then
     57     AC_MSG_RESULT([  $1])
     58 fi
     59 ])
     60 dnl #   the user macro
     61 AC_DEFUN(AC_CHECK_PTH, [dnl
     62 dnl
     63 dnl #   prerequisites
     64 AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_CC])dnl
     65 AC_REQUIRE([AC_PROG_CPP])dnl
     66 dnl
     67 PTH_CPPFLAGS=''
     68 PTH_CFLAGS=''
     69 PTH_LDFLAGS=''
     70 PTH_LIBS=''
     71 AC_SUBST(PTH_CPPFLAGS)
     72 AC_SUBST(PTH_CFLAGS)
     73 AC_SUBST(PTH_LDFLAGS)
     74 AC_SUBST(PTH_LIBS)
     75 dnl #   command line options
     76 AC_MSG_CHECKING(for GNU Pth)
     77 _AC_PTH_VERBOSE([])
     78 AC_ARG_WITH(pth,dnl
     79 [  --with-pth[=ARG]        Build with GNU Pth Library  (default=]ifelse([$2],,yes,$2)[)],dnl
     80 ,dnl
     81 with_pth="ifelse([$2],,yes,$2)"
     82 )dnl
     83 AC_ARG_WITH(pth-test,dnl
     84 [  --with-pth-test         Perform GNU Pth Sanity Test (default=]ifelse([$3],,yes,$3)[)],dnl
     85 ,dnl
     86 with_pth_test="ifelse([$3],,yes,$3)"
     87 )dnl

I couldn't tell you if this is OK or not.

Any pointers appreceiated.
Thanks,
gene