Tor exit nodes by country

Ferdinand O. Tempel ftempel at linuxops.net
Thu Jan 13 08:19:50 UTC 2005

Quoting Mike Perry <mikepery at fscked.org>:

> Thus spake Roger Dingledine (arma at mit.edu):
>
> > If you want to ask about specific ports, you can do something like:
> > http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu:8000/cgi-bin/exit.pl?ports=25,9030
> >
> > (Your Tor client already parses all of this internally and picks
> > appropriate exit nodes for your destination IP and port -- so at this
> > point this is just a more visual representation of the network.)
>
> Not to look a gift horse in the mouth (and this is pretty awesome),

I, like any geek in town, like statistics and numbers and all that.
But doesn't all this statistics keeping kinda mitigate the use of tor
altogether? Publicizing all the (location) information of all the exit and
intermediate nodes makes it very easy to attack those nodes and their owners
would one like to. One of the key selling points of this kind of network is
anonymity. Shouldn't that also count for the nodes and exit points in some way
(I know it won't be that easy to achieve technically)?

Just a thought.

Ferdinand O. Tempel