Heavy CPU usage.. normal?

SK sk.list at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 08:55:31 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have been running Tor 0.0.9.2 in client and server mode for a day
now and am seeing constantly high CPU usage. If I use "top" to see the
stats, here is what I get about the 2 tor processes:

PID: 32477
USER: tor
PR: 16
NI: 0
VIRT: 37880
RES: 22m
SHR: 15m
S: R
%CPU:  82.5
%MEM: 2.3
TIME+:  368.58.30
COMMAND: tor

and

PID: 32481
USER: tor
PR: 16
NI: 0
VIRT: 17788
RES: 3100
SHR: 15m
S: S
%CPU:  0.7
%MEM: 0.3
TIME+:  4.34.33
COMMAND: tor

The first of these processes is the concern. The %CPU is consistently
high. Is this a cause of worry?

If this can be of any help to identify the problem, my /proc/cpuinfo is:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 12
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 2002.652
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 3923.96
TLB size        : 1088 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp

I am using tor compiled from the source. gcc version is 3.4.2 20041017
(Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)

Any ideas?

-S_