privoxy problem on OpenBSD

Chris Palmer chris at eff.org
Thu Jan 27 20:30:38 UTC 2005

slrner at blackhole.riot.eu.org writes:

> >Although I can use TOR directly, I am having difficulty incorporating
> >privoxy.  I am using OpenBSD 3.6, Firefox 0.8, TOR 0.0.9.2, and
> >privoxy 3.0.2.1.  TOR is compiled locally, and privoxy and Firefox
> >are the pre-compiled binary packages shipped with the OpenBSD
> >distribution.

You got Firefox to work on OpenBSD 3.6? You lucky dog. :) It fails
hilariously for me.

> >If I enable privoxy as well as TOR, the first one or 2 selected links
> >will download, and thereafter it will hang forever.  The fact that it
> >works for a few links suggests to me that the configuration is
> >correct.

Yes, I got the same result with Konqueror -> Privoxy -> Tor on OpenBSD
3.6. In my case, Privoxy reliably saw and logged the first three
requests given it by Konqueror, but nothing after that. This was the
case both when Privoxy was configured to use Tor and when not so
configured.

> First, a comment to help the second person using OpenBSD with TOR
> (apparently, I am the first).

As a client, I only tried it last night. But I've been running Tor as a
server on OpenBSD with good results for 9 months or so.

I think the thing to do is bring it up with the maintainer of the
OpenBSD Privoxy port. Looking at /usr/ports/www/privoxy/Makefile, I see
the maintainer is listed as Dan Weeks <danimal at danimal.org>. He happens
to be a friend of mine and I know for a fact that he has renounced all
OBSD port maintainership. So Privoxy for OpenBSD is currently
unmaintained.

Roger, stop laughing!

--
Chris Palmer
Technology Manager, Electronic Frontier Foundation

81C0 E11D CE73 4390 B6C7  3415 B286 CD8F 68E4 09CD